When in Chiangmai make sure to visit Wat Phrathat Doi Suthep
(the temple of the holy relic) that's 15 kilometers from town,
3520 feet above sea level, and which dates back to 1383. The
temple has been recognized in the north as a place of
exceptional importance. The temple achieved popularity as a
place of pelgrimage after 1934, when a charismatic monk, Kruba
Srivichai, organised the construction of a road providing easy
acces to it. The temple visitors have to climb a steep staircase
with 290 steps. The believe is that anyone who reaches de top
step means they have reached heaven and succeeded in life.
Wat Phra Singh
Intersection of Sam Lan and Rajadamnern Rd.
This beautiful temple, built in 1345 by King Pha Yu in order to
keep the remains of King Kam Fu his father, is located in the
heart of the city. A tall concrete-base with a wooden structure
of the scriptural repository were designed to keep and protect
sacred texts written on palm leaves and the delicate Saa paper
known as mulberry paper. Moreover, Wat Phra Singh is one of
Chiang Mai's center points of Songkran festivities on April
13-15 when people bathe the revered Phra Singh Buddha image,
located in Lai Kham chapel where woodcarvings and northern-style
murals have been found. The Lai Kham chapel is located behind
the main chapel.
Wat Suan Dok
Opposites the Faculty of Dentistry on Suthep Rd.
In 1383, this exquisite temple was constructed in the pleasure
gardens of Lana Royal Residence. Therefore, several white chedis,
pagoda, contain ashes of Chiang Mai's former royal family. The
500-year-old bronze Buddha image, one of Thailand's largest
metal images, is located in a secondary chapel.
Wat Chedi Luang
Phra Pok Klao Rd.
With an extensive pagoda, Wat Chedi Luang once housed the
revered Emerald Buddha image now enshrined in Thailand's famous
temple, Wat Phra Kaeo in Bangkok. Wat Chedi Luang, which means
"big pagoda" in the northern dialect, was constructed in 1401 by
King Muang Ma and the chedi was enlarged by King Tilo Garaj in
1454. The ruin pagoda, partially destroyed by the great
earthquake in 1545, was renovated as its original in 1992. Also,
a magnificent Naga staircase of the chapel's front porch is
Off Suthep Rd.
A meaning of the temple's name is a temple in the cave. King
Meng Rai built Wat U-Mong for a forest monk who wants to
practice Buddhism and meditation in an isolated and peaceful
area. Visitors can enjoy the ancient chedi, a forest
surrounding, and an open zoo and may recognize those scenes from
some Thai and holly wood movies.
Phu Phing Palace
The palace is located about 4 kilometers further from Doi Suthep.
The palace is open to the public when the royal family does not
reside there, this Thai style residence of the royal family is
surrounded with the most beautiful garden with a variety of
Khru Ba Si Wichai Monument
The monument is located near Huay Kaew Falls about 7 kilometers
from the township. The monument was built to commemorate Khru Ba
Si Wichai, a popular monk who led volunteers to build the first
manmade road up the hill to Phrathat Doi Suthep temple.
Meo Hill Tribe Village
Is about 2 kilometers from the palace. The area is called Doi
Pui. This Meo hill tribe formerly grew opium for their living.
This group is the first who began to grow marketable farm crops
with the support of the government.
Wat Chiang Man
The temple is in the township of Chiang Mai. It is the oldest
temple in Chiang Mai, older than the city of Chiang Mai itself.
It is said that King Mengrai, the founder of Chiang Mai, resided
in this temple while directing the building of the new Lanna
capital. The temple houses two sacred ancient Buddha images. The
stupa in this temple imitates the stupa at Si Satchanalai.
Wat Pra Thart Doi Suthep
Suthep mountainous area beyond Hauy Keaw Rd.
With an exquisite location amongst the peaks of Suthep mountain,
visitor can experience a spectacular panoramic view of the city
of Chiang Mai and Ping river valley. The site was selected by
sending an elephant to wander on the mountain. When the elephant
found the spot, it circled three times, trumpeted, and knelt
down where the temple is located. Nowadays, the temple is the
symbol of Chiang Mai. Kru ba Sri Wichai built the road to the
Wat Chedi Chet Yot (Wat Photharam Mahawihan)
The temple is located at Km. 4 on Chiang Mai-Fang Highway. Chedi
Chet Yot literally means the seven spired stupa. The body of the
structure is a cave-like rectangular hall. Inside the cave is a
Buddha image, on the roof there are five stupa towers on square
bases, each looks like the great at Bodh Gaya, India. The
largest stupa is in the middle. Two more Chiang Saen stupas are
on the front. This stupa was built under the command of King
Tilokarat of Lanna, in about 1477 A.D. The first Sangkhayana
(Buddhism Doctrines revision) in Thailand was held in this
temple at that time.
Wat Ku Tao
The temple is in the township. The stupa was built in the year
1613 in the shape of five gourds to represent five Lord Buddhas.
Chiang Mai National Museum
The museum is located close to Wat Chedi Chet Yot. It is small
but well maintained. The museum has many rare collections of
Buddha heads, images and artifacts from many periods. It also
has collections of howdahs, coffin covers, displays of hill
tribe custumes, northern-style household gadgets and two ancient
Old Chiang Mai Cultural center
The center is on Wualai road in the southern part of the city.
The center is a complex of northern style houses with
comprehensive exhibitions of folk crafts and antiques. Also on
show is a hill tribe village way of life. In the evenings, the
center holds the traditional "KHANTOKE" dinner for visitors. At
Khantoke dinner guests and hosts sit on mats on the floor around
a round table and are served a northern meal of sticky rice,
Kang Hung Le, Sai Ua and some side dishes. They share the same
dishes, eating with their fingers. Entertainment is generally
provided in the form of different northern Thai classical dances
during the dinner.
Wat Phrathat Si Chom Thong
The temple is located at Km 58, on Chiang Mai-Hod road. This
temple was built in the year 1451.
The stupa is located in the Inthanon National Park. The stupa
houses a holy relic of Lord Buddha. It was built to commemorate
the 60th Birthday of His Majesty the King. The stupa is 60
meters high and signifies His majesty the King's 60th birthday.
The top of the stupa is decorated with eight lotus to signify
the Lord Buddha's eight great paths to Enlightenment. The
topmost part looks like an unopened banana blossom, which
represents the struggle to reach the ultimate goal in Buddhism.
A nine-tiered royal umbrella is placed over the top to symbolize
Another stupa is built next to the Nabhamethanidol to mark the
60th Birthday of Her Majesty the Queen.
Elephant trainings camp
The centre is located about 30 km from town, about 10 km along
the Mae Rim-Samoeng route. Every morning between 09:00 and 11:00
the trained pachyderms show off their forestry skills which were
once so highly valued. Visitors are given the chance to traverse
through the jungle on the massive beasts, for about 2 hours,
after the show has finished.
Entrance to the camp is 80 Baht, with the jungle tour 250 Baht